Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Hunger Games - Susanne Collins

Summary: in future North America, where rules of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen year old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.

Review: When I first glanced at this book, I skimmed right over it. At the time, I didn't like the cover art, nor did I understand it. After reading this book, however, I understand the design and I really like it's layout. I would rate this book a 4.5/5 because, although I finished this book in about two days, it felt like something was missing from it.

The characters in this book mesh so well, it's almost like you're fighting the battles, both real and internal, with them. Suzanne Collins has really outdone herself in reference to the backstory between the Capital (the government) and the districts, and the personal histories that go along with each character. While explaining these complicated relationships, I didn't feel that she took away from the plot or the main idea of the story at all, and that's what's so great about this book.

My favorite character in this book would have to be a tie between Haymitch and Peeta. They're both such great characters! It's hard to pick just one. Haymitch is such a complex character, and I don't want to say too much without giving anything away, but I really feel like he tried to do what was best. He was a really good teacher to both Katniss and Peeta, although sometimes his methods were a bit odd, he taught them a lot. As for Peeta... Well, he's got this whole tortured good guy thing going on and I really feel like he challenges Gale by being the exact opposite.

Please, read this trilogy especially if you like fast paced action books. It's amazing and you definitely won't regret it!

-Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...