Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Girl in the Steel Corset - Kady Cross

In 1897 England, 16-year-old Finley Jayne is convinced she's a freak. No normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch. Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special . . . that she's one of "them." [Goodreads]

My version of The Girl in the Steel Corset has a small prequel added on to it. In this prequel, we learn a little more about Finley and her past. I wasn't fond of this prequel - I thought that it was unnecessary, but it was something that piqued my interest into the rest of the book, so I guess it did its job. I really, really loved the villain in the prequel because he was so complex and the ending just made me love him even more. For that, I would rate the prequel a 3/5. 

Can we just marvel at the time period in which this is set? I mean, come on. 1897 ENGLAND. I was half expecting Sherlock to come prancing around the corner. Sadly, that didn't happen. But, anyway.
The Girl in the Steel Corset started out great, I was really, really into the book. Then, for some reason, all of the characters bored me - save Sam. I thought that, for a while, the only person who had some real depth was Sam and his half-robot self. Don't get me wrong, the other characters had some great back stories, but they were all very chiche to me. Finley's character was great, although, the whole I-don't-know-who-I-really-am theme in YA is definitely giving me some migraines. While this book was extremely predictable, there were some parts of it that made me want to know more. I would rate this book a 3.5/5 I can't wait to read the next book in this series, The Girl in the Clockwork Collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...