Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Kissing Doorknobs - Terry Spencer Hesser


Kissing DoorknobsDuring her preschool years, Tara Sullivan lived in terror that something bad would happen to her mother while they were apart. In grade school, she panicked during the practice fire drills. Practice for what?, Tara asked. For the upcoming disaster that was bound to happen?

Then, at the age of 11, it happened. Tara heard the phrase that changed her life:
Step on a crack, break your mother's back. Before Tara knew it, she was counting every crack in the sidewalk. Over time, Tara's "quirks" grew and developed: arranging her meals on plates, nonstop prayer rituals, until she developed a new ritual wherin she kissed her fingers and touched doorknobs....

I read this book for my AP Psych class and I absolutely loved it! I was so happy to find out that my final project for that class, instead of setting up an experiment, was to read a book! I LOVED this book! I loved the main character and the story and almost everything about this book was fantastic! I liked the way you saw her mental illness progress and that you could see that she couldn't help what she was doing and you got to experience her frustration at not being able to do "normal" activities. The only problem that I had with this book was the end of it. I felt that the ending was kind of rushed and that the last character that was introduced should have opened the story up to more options, not finished the story. Overall, I'd give this book 4/5 stars, only because of the odd ending.

If you've read this book, let me know what you think! I'm curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...