Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Reckoning - Kelley Armstrong

This is the third and final installment in the Darkest Powers series, this review will contain spoilers for both the Summoning and The Awakening, the first two books in this series.

My name is Chloe Saunders. I'm fifteen, and I would love to be normal.

But normal is one thing I'm not.

For one thing, I'm having these feelings for a certain antisocial werewolf and his sweet-tempered brother-who just happens to be a sorcerer- but, between you and me, I'm leaning toward the werewolf.

Not normal.

My friends and I are also on the run from an evil corporation that wants to get rid of us-permanently.

Definitely not normal.

And finally, I'm a genetically altered necromancer who can raise the dead, rotting corpses and all, without even trying.

As far away from normal as it gets.


The first few chapters of The Reckoning were slow, especially after the fast-paced energy that ended the last novel. Thankfully it did get better and I was able to maintain interest in the characters as they, once again, run from the Edison Group.

The plot was ok, it felt like the plot was going in circles with the whole running-from-the-Edison Group thing. I understand that they are the main problem in the story and that is who Chloe and friends are running from, but I feel like there should have been another obstacle. It just would have made the book a little more interesting. There is also more drama going on and the love triangle between Simon, Chloe and Derek is still going on. I don't think that the love triangle messes up the story, and it's not a huge part of the main plot. It's just something extra. I also don't think that the love triangle was needed, but I'm a sucker for love triangles and it was nice to be able to escape from the whole Edison Group drama into the drama that surrounds Chloe with Derek and Simon. For those of you who hate love triangles, this one wasn't obnoxious, and I don't think you'll mind it.

One of the problems that I had with this book was that some of the key players in this novel were introduced in the previous novels and then they kind of dropped off the face of the earth for a while and then they came back and I couldn't remember who they were and what they did. I feel like this trillogy could have just been combined into one big book and I'd be happy with it.

I was not a fan of the ending. If you can even call it that? I mean the book did end, but I didn't really get closure from it. There were just too many questions left unanswered for me to be satisfied by the ending of this trillogy. I've heard that Kelley Armstrong will be continuing this series with a spin-off, however, Simon, Chloe, Tori and Derek aren't included in it. I will definitely be picking up the next few books, which include The Gathering (Darkness Rising #1) and The Calling (Darkness Rising #2), and I believe they will be published in April, 2012.
This book gets a 4.5/5 from me and the series also gets a 4.5/5. If you like supernatural conspiracy books, then this series is the one for you. :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...