Wednesday, January 11, 2012

City of Glass - Cassandra Clare


Warning, this synopsis contains spoilers from City of Bones and City of Ashes.

[Click each title to read my reviews.]




To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that enter-ing the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final installment of the New York Timesbestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments.

[Taken from Goodreads]

Once again, I must gush over three things: the cover, Cassandra Clare and Jace. Well, mostly Cassandra Clare. I absolutely love this cover, and I think it just fits with the story so well. I also love the color brown, so, that carries some weight. City of Bones was phenomenal, I absolutely loved it and I couldn't put it down for two days. Which is why it only took me two days to finish it. It was just THAT GOOD. Which brings me to my third subject: Jace. He's even more tortured in this book, which makes him more attractive. Oh, and the character development is great, too.

This book starts where City of Ashes left off, and it's as action filled as CoA, which is awesome. The character development really picks up in CoG. I loved reading about the different characters and seeing how they react to different things. These characters are definitely the type that you keep close to your heart. Alec and Mangus are in this book, more than they ever were before, and I loved watching their relationship grow. Simon is still Simon, and his family is having trouble with the fact that he's a vampire. So, he becomes tortured and angry and just so un-Simon. He also steps up in this book, which I liked. Clary is still Clary, and I think that she becomes less annoying in this book. Also, the parents make an appearance, and you get to see what the relationship with the kids and the parents is like, which is...interesting, to say the least. And, a new character is introduced--Sebastian--and he is definitely a key aspect in this book. I both loved and hated him at times, and I felt bad for him at others. 

This book, like every other one of Cassie Clare's books, had some MAJOR cliffhangers in it, and each one made me want to tear my hear out from the roots. Cassie's words definitely make you want to cry forever at times, which I almost did, (I'm pretty sure I ran out of tears.) The ending of the book was even more action packed than the beginning--something that I didn't think was even possible. I both loved and hated the ending. While I won't tell you why I hated the ending because that contains some MAJOR spoilers, the ending definitely wrapped up the series in a way that left room for a next book, or a spin-off series, which was fantastic because I couldn't wait to get my hands on City of Fallen Angels (which originally wasn't supposed to even exist) and that review will be up on January 18, 2012. 

If you would like to hear me rant about the one thing that I didn't like about the ending, watch this video which I will link here. This video contains serious spoilers. You have been warned.

It's safe to say that I give this book an overall 5/5.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...