Thursday, August 4, 2011

City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare

This review will contain spoilers if you have not read City of Bones.

Clary Fray just wishes that he life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? Clary would love to spend more time with her best friend, Simon. But the Shadowhunters won't let her go - especially her handsome, infuriating new found brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil - and also her father. When the second of the Mortal Instruments is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor suspects Jace. Could Jace really be willing to betray everything he believes in to help his father?


Immediately after reading City of Bones [Review] I picked up City of Ashes and completely devoured it. I give this book a 4/5, because I don't feel that it was as good as the first book, the writing seemed a bit rushed is all. The cover is astounding, and I love the contrast between the hair and the blue color in the background, not to mention that awesome swirling of silver. The age grouping that I would give this book is 13+ but, you are free to dismiss my "warning" and read this book anyway. It's not like I can (or would) stop you if you did.

 In this book you see more of Simon and Clary as their relationship grows. Clary is still trying to find herself and figure out which world she belongs in - the Shadow world or the mundane world. Throughout this book you are brought into many battles between many different Shadow persons. First, there's the whole Jace and Clary are siblings and Valentine is their father thing going on, which poses a major problem for both Jace and Clary's romantic relationship, as well as their Shadow Hunter relationship. Jace is seriously questioning who he can trust, including the Lightwoods, who are determined to give Jace a hard time about his father (Like Jace isn't beating himself up already). Then there is the whole vampires and werewolves are eternally at war with each other thing going on, which, at times, was a bit amusing.

Alec was seen more in this book, and I really enjoyed learning more about him. In City of Bones you do see some of Alec, but not as much as you see him in this book. Alec still pines for Jace, even though he knows that Jace wouldn't go for him. It tortured me to see Alec heartbroken at times, but it all worked out for him in the end. And, it was awesome. You also get to see the Lightwood family dynamic, which is pretty cool.

The only thing that I don't really feel that this book touched on was Isabelle's personal life. We learn a few things about her, but we don't really get to see who she really is. I don't know why this bugs me so much, because this book is rated 5/5, but it does. I kind of want to know who she really is and what she thinks about what's currently going on in everyone's lives. As I've said before, I felt that this book was rushed, and it didn't have as many twists as City of Bones did. I could easily figure out what was going to happen next, and I was expecting a little more from Clare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...