Friday, July 15, 2011

City of Bones -- Cassandra Clare

This is the first book in the Mortal Instruments series which will consist of a grand total of six books. There will also be a prequil series to the Mortal Instruments called the Infernal Devices (Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, and Clockwork Princess).

When Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder. Much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with odd markings. This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons--keeping the odd werewolves and vampires in line. It's also her first meeting with gorgeous, golden-haired Jace. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in an ordinary mundane like Clary? And how did she suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Once you start reading this enthralling novel you are immediately engulfed in a unique and astounding new world. The Shadow World is a magickal relm that is invisible to humans and consists of Shadowhunters, known as Nephilim (the children of humans and angels) among other creatures such as Demons and Downworlders. Shadowhunters hunt and kill demons, and try to keel the tension between the  Downworlders--human-demon hybrids such as vampires, werewolves, warlocks, and the Fair Folk (Faeries)--at bay. The main character in this book is Clary Fray, a mundane (human), who lives in a single parent household. Her father died in an accident before she was born, leaving her mother, Jocelyn to raise Clary, along with her "Uncle" Luke. Clary and best-friend Simon have been pretty much inseperable since they've met and now Simon wants to be more than just friends. Clary is suprised when she follows Shadowhunters; Jace Wayland, Isabelle Lightwood and Alec Lightwood, as they  kill a Demon. Jace starts to show up everywhere Clary goes and she starts to get a little freaked out when she realizes that no one else can see him. She also starts to feel a strong attraction to Jace, which causes tension between everyone, especially Simon. Becoming a Shadowhunter doesn't just happen, you have to be born with the Sight. Clary then realizes that she can see the Shadow World and is taken to the Institute where she finds out more about her past and memories that have been mysteriously taken from her by an unknown person. When Clary's mother is kidnaped by someone from Clary's unknown past, Clary and Jace set out on a quest, with help from Simon, Isabelle and Alec, to find out more about Clary's past, and who has taken Jocelyn Fray.

When I first saw this book at my local library in 2007 I was very skeptical. At first, I was confused at the cover and young-reader-me didn't really stop to read the back of a book. I was that girl who judged the book by it's cover and I admit that young-reader-me was very, very wrong on her initial assessment. Since then I have gotten over my quick once-overs and have looked deeper into books before I start to read them. I am getting very off topic so, on with the review. This book made me want to tear my hair out, in the best way possible. (Kudos to Katelyn for dealing with my frustrations that were brought by this book) I absolutely loved City of Bones! I questioned myself on many occasions, because I kept thinking that Clare was going in one direction, and then she does a complete 180 and goes in an utterly different direction.

My favorite character would have to be Jace. I loved Jace's confidence and his ability to see through some people while being completely oblivious to others. My favorite chapter is chapter 17 because you really get to see a softer side to Jace. You get to see the mushy side to him and how he really, truly cares for his friends. Since Jace is one of the strong and silent types it was nice to see him put himself out there a little bit. He is loyal to a fault and will do anything to protect the ones he loves, which is both lovely and frightening. I hated watching Jace break under certain pressures as his world shatters again and again.

If you were like me and judged this book by the cover, please read this astounding book!
I will definitely be reading the next book in this series, City of Ashes, as soon as my TBR (To Be Read) pile lowers a little.

Read on!
--Leah

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...