Saturday, July 30, 2011

Personal Demons -- Lisa Desrochers


Frannie Cavanaugh has always been a bit of a loner. She's spent years keeping everyone at a distance, even her closest friends. That is, until Luc Cain enrolls in her school. He's hot, sarcastic, and dangerous--and Frannie can't seem to stay away.
What she doesn't know is that Luc is on a mission. Because Frannie isn't exactly ordinary. She possesses a skill so unique that the King of Hell himself has taken notice, and he's sent Luc to claim Frannie's soul. It should be easy: All he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come.
Unfortunately for Luc, Heaven has other plans, and he's just started making progress when  the angel Gabriel shows up. Gabe will do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for and his angelic charm might just be enough to keep Frannie on the right path.
It isn't long before Luc and Gabe find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie's soul. But if Luc fails to win her over, there will be Hell to pay...for all of them.

The cover immediately caught my eye, so I read the back and thought that this would be a good read. I mean, who doesn't like Angels and Demons fighting for the soul of a teenage girl? My first impression was wrong, though. I did not enjoy this book. I felt that the idea for Personal Demons was great and definitely movie worthy, but this idea was, in my opinion, poorly executed. I would give this book a 2/5.

We don't get to know much about the supporting characters, and the love triangle between Luc, Frannie and Gabe didn't grab my attention at all. I just couldn't connect with these characters. Another thing that annoyed me was the fact that both Luc and Frannie's voices were the same. If I stopped reading this book in the middle of a chapter, I had to go back and check to see which perspective I was reading from. I felt myself forcing myself to finish this book, just to get it over with and start a different book.

There is a scene that reminds me of a modern day take on Shakespeare's balcony scene in Romeo and Juliet. In Personal Demons, Luc is talking with Frannie's grandfather in the driveway of Frannie's house and looks up at Frannie, "I glance up at her window and smile when I see her, elbow propped on the sill and cheek resting in her hand, watching us. My need to be that hand--to touch her face--almost knocks me over."(225) This scene is much like the balcony scene where Romeo looks up at Juliet and says, "See how she leans her cheek upon her hand. O, that I were a glove upon that hand, that I might touch that cheek." [2.2.24-26]

There are some things in Personal Demons that aren't explained, like the term "ginger" for example. In this book, "ginger" is not used as a cooking ingredient, nor is it used as a nickname for one who has red/orange hair, it is used by Luc when he addresses the sent of Frannie's soul. Desrochers also uses food as a way for the reader to get a feel for Frannie's emotions. I feel that this method should have been explained in the beginning of the book. Some of the demons that we encounter throughout this book weren't explained when we meet them, and although this aspect may not be that important at times, I feel that it would have been nice to read.

Read on!
-Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...