Monday, July 11, 2011

Skipping Christmas -- John Grisham


"Imagine a year without Christmas. No crowded malls, no corny office parties, no fruitcakes, no unwanted presents. That's just what Luther and Nora Krank have in mind when they decide that, just this once, they'll skip the holiday altogether. Theirs will be the only house on Hemlock Street without a rooftop Frosty; they won't be hosting thier annual Christmas Eve bash; they aren't even going to have a tree. They won't need one, because come December 25 they're setting sail on a Carribean cruise. But, as this weary couple is about to discover, skipping Christmas brings enormous consequences-and isn't half as easy as they'd imagine.
A classic tale for modern times, Skipping Christmas offers a hilarious look at the chaos and frenzy that have become part of our holiday tradition."


I could not put this book down because I was reliving one of my favorite childhood movies "Christmas with the Kranks" It was a tradition of ours to watch the movie near Christmas time. It's pages are filled with laughs and I love reading about the reactions of everybody when they find out they're skipping Christmas.

This book was--as most books are--better than the movie. I could really connect with the characters, and I found myself losing sleep just to turn the page. My favorite character would have to be Luther because his thoughts throughout the story kept me laughing. His stubborn attitude was hilarious, and I couldn't wait to see what he thought of next.

Caution: Spoilers.

My favorite parts would be when the Kranks wouldn't put Frosty on their roof and the street all gangs up on them and try to make them surrender Frosty. Another favorite part is at the end when they find out their daughter, Blair, is coming home for Christmas with her fiance (italics)and they start rushing to actually put Chrsitmas together in eight hours.

Overall the book brings a good laugh, and is a real page turner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...