Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sisters Red -- Jackson Pearce

Scarlett and Rosie March have spent their years hunting the Fenris - werewolves who took Scarlett's eye in a brutal attack years ago. Donning blood red cloaks and wielding deadly hatchets, the sisters kill Fenris to protect other young girls from a grisly fate. Yet even as the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is lethal with an ax and Scaarlett's only friend - but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all they they've worked for?
I found this book after stumbleing across Jackson Pearce's YouTube channel. Before viewing a few of her videos, I had not know that she was an author, and when I found out that she was an author I just had to pick up a copy of one of her books. So I went to Borders and picked up a copy of Sisters Red. I would give this book a 4/5, and the age group that I would give to this book would be 13+.

Sisters Red is a modern day retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, only not. In this version Little Red isn't Little Red, but Little Reds. (If you didn't catch that, there are two girls who wear red cloaks.) The Little Reds are sisters, Scarlett and Rosie March. The March sisters find out about the Fenris (werewolves) after watching both Scarlett and Oma March (The sister's grandmother) get attacked. Oma March isn't as lucky as Scarlett, who only suffers severe scarring on the right side of her face. After this horrible witnessing Scarlett and Rosie vow to save other girls from Fenris attacks, along with their childhood friend and neighbor Silas. Silas is the last son in a long line of woodsmen.

Things are going well, until Silas and Rosie find themselves wanting more than the hunt. This dream is frequently disrupted by the increasing amount of Fenris attacks, and Scarlett's inability to comprehend a life beyond the hunt and her anger at anything not hunt-related. (Which, if you ask me, is scarier than any Fenris)

I think that Pearce did an astounding job at pointing out the differences between the sisters, and then sharing the underlying similarities. I couldn't help but feel an attachment to both sisters, and I understood what each sister wanted. This was just one of the many things that drew me to this book. I loved turning the page, only to find out something new.

The only thing that I didn't like about this book was that the relationship between Silas and Rosie didn't interest me. I couldn't get attached to them as a couple and I kind of wanted Silas and Scarlett to get together, but, hey, that's what FanFiction is for, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...