Sunday, February 12, 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.


While I'm not going to shove my views of suicide down your throat, I do want to say that suicude is the center of this novel, and while I do not mean to offend anyone in any way, shape or form, if I do offend you I am deeply sorry. I just want to review this book, because I feel that everyone in their life, should read it, even if it's only once.

When I first picked up this book, I was extremely tepid. I didn't want to start reading this book and  think about horrible things, and I didn't want to hear some complete nonsense about how suicide is "cowardly." I was pleased, in a way, to know that this book did not offend me at all. I loved the way it was written, and I liked the fact that someone *cough cough Jay Asher cough cough* was able to be respectable in writing about suicide while explaining how the actions of one person have a snowball effect and can, indeed, hurt someone in the worst way possible. Something that I think should be expressed more in today's society. Especially in high school.

I don't want to go into specifics in this review, because I don't really know how to review this book without giving anything away. I will say that I believe that everyone should read this book, at least once. If you don't like it, that's fine, you don't have to read it again, but after one time of reading this novel, you will think about the snowball effect, and maybe you can help someone that's going through a hard time.

This book is definitely a 5/5.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...