Monday, February 6, 2012

Far From You - Lisa Schroeder

Lost and alone...down the rabbit hole.

Years have passed since Alice lost her mother to cancer, but time hasn't quite healed the wound. Alice copes the best she can by writing her music, losing herself in her love for her boyfriend, and distancing herself from her father and his new wife.

But when a deadly snowstorm traps Alice with her stepmother and newborn half sister, she'll face issues she's been avoiding for too long. As Alice looks to the heavens for guidance, she discovers something wonderful.

Perhaps she's not so alone after all....


This book is written in verse--which is something that initially drew me to it. I love verse, that may be the fault of Ellen Hopkins, but I thank her for it.
Throughout this novel I wanted to scream at Alice and tell her to grow up. She was my main issue with Far From You.

This book doesn't really get interesting until the middle of the book, when all of the action happens. Although I think that the action in this book was extremely random, it kind of seperated itself from the rest of the novel.

Another thing that bothered me was that, there's this one part in Far From You when a love interest is introduced--briefly--and then he isn't brought back at all. I didn't understand why the author would introduce a character who could potentially be a main part of this book, and then just drop him.

Oh, well. The overall message that is given to the reader makes up for some of the weird-ness of the plot, and I loved the incorporation of Alice in Wonderland that Lisa Schroeder added into this novel.

Overall I'd give Far From You a 3.5/5 because, overall the book was good, it was just weird at times for me. Feel free to pick it up and make your own decision. Maybe you'll like it more than I did.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...