Monday, May 28, 2012

Discussion: Limits

Should there be a moral limit to the amount of books that you ask your local library to put on hold for you?

This is the question that I have just asked myself, and Amber, but I ask Amber all of my moral/ethical questions. So, anyway, back on topic.

Here's the story:

I was looking for a new book to read, because school's almost over and, hey, I think we all deserve a treat with finals approaching (or not) and did what I always do: GoodReads. Now, GR and I have a love/hate relationship. Sometimes, I love it because I find new books, and sometimes I hate it because I find new books. Either way, I find new books, so GR and I will always love each other. Anyway, as I was on GR looking for a book, I actually found seven. That led me to check my library account, which led me to put on hold all seven books that I had just searched.


For the curious mind:
  1. The night circus : a novel
       by Erin Morgenstern
  2. The knife of never letting go
       by Patrick Ness
  3. Grave mercy
       by Robin LaFevers
  4. The other Boleyn girl : a novel
       by Philippa Gregory
  5. The dark glamour : a 666 Park Avenue novel
       by Gabriella Pierce
  6. Hunger
       by Jackie Morse Kessler
  7.   Full moon rising
       by Keri Arthur
 I then realized that whatever poor soul happened to be the one to pick out the books that I had asked my local library to hold would have their work cut out for them, and I felt bad. (Well, as bad as one could feel while making someone get their books for them.) I know that if someone asked me to find seven books that were scattered throughout the entire library building for them and put them on a shelf so that they could easily check them out, only so that they could read and return them so that I could to the tedius task of checking them back in and replacing them on shelves just so I could start the process all over again, I'd look like this: 


Photobucket


After thinking about Capt'n Jack running, I texted Amber: 



Now, even though Amber said that it was ok, I still want to know: Should there be a  moral limit to the amount of books one asks the library to hold for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...