Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Replacement - Brenna Yovanoff


Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.
[Goodreads]

Who wouldn't want to read this? I mean, the cover alone is just... wow. Yeah, its creepy, but the creepyier the cover, the better the book looks...Well, to me at least. I went in to this book thinking that there was going to be a lot of action and that it was going to be fast paced. And, in some places, it is. In others, however, The Replacement definitely got slow. Sometimes I found myself putting the book down just because I was annoyed with the pace of the book. Even though there was that minor setback, I continued to read - and eventually finish - The Replacement and was content with the book itself. I give this book a 3/5.

In my opinion, Mackie, the main character, doesn't really have much depth to him. The book starts off with Mackie being a "woe is me" type character. This doesn't really change throughout the book, and for that, I was extremely annoyed. The only characters that I felt had real depth were Tate, Mackie's best friend (aI can't remember his name at the moment) and the Cutter and they weren't even involved in about half of the book. I feel that if they were expressed more and developed more - possibly as main characters - this book would have been an A++. But, that was not the case. There was just something about Mackie that annoyed me throughout this book, and I can't exactly put my finger on it, but his character seemed...incomplete.

The town that this book took place in was believeable...to a point. I didn't really see why the towns people really went on with everything and it would have been nice to have an explanation other than "it's what we've always done." Maybe that's the rebel teenager in me. Who knows?
Overall, The Replacement is a good read. If this is a series (Is this in a series?) I would definitely pick up the second book just to see what happens next. And there were some awesome quotations in this book. Not gonna lie. Definitely check it out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...