Friday, January 18, 2013

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

Frankenstein, Or, the Modern Prometheus: With ConnectionsShelley's classic hints in part at the possible dangers inherent in the pursuit of pure science; it also portrays the injustice of a society which persecutes outcasts such as the "Monster." Disturbing and profoundly moving, Frankenstein has become part of our own mythology.
I had the pleasure of reading this inspiring classic in my Brit. Lit. class this year. I enjoyed it, to an extent. I saw profound character development and I even felt sorry for both of the main characters at times, but sadly, I read this book for school and with that comes some form of a headache. I'm not sure if I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would because of the notes and such that I had to take for class, or because some of the insane attention to detail just annoyed the crap out of me. I had that same problem with Kagawa's Iron Fae series, so maybe it was just the detail. Either way, I liked and somewhat enjoyed this book. Shelley was definitely ahead of her time, and Tesla would definitely be proud of her book. (If you understood that reference, thank you.) Overall, I'd give this book a 3/5, and I will say that I believe that everyone has to read this book at least once, because the movies have it wrong. Blasted Hollywood.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...