Friday, March 16, 2012

Freaky Fridays: Breaking Dawn Part 1

Warning: I am going to spoil both the book and the movie in this review. 

I finally got to see Breaking Dawn part one, and see what all of the fuss was about. While I wasn't disappointed in Breaking Dawn, I do think that some of the things should have been explained better. I don't know, maybe I'm just looking for things to pick at, but throughout all of the saga, I didn't think that everything was explained properly, and that too many important things (i.e. Carlisle's back-story intertwining with Edward's character development; Rosalie versus Bella, Bella completing the Change etc.)  were just kind of hazed over and you never really got the full effect of the characters, unless you've read the book that is.

I also think that there was something missing from the wedding. You see that Bella is having nightmares about it, but you aren't shown the Volturi and the threat that they pose to Bella and her family. I can't put my finger on it, but something about the wedding was just off. 



I liked that Edward and Bella play chess on their honeymoon, and the chess pieces look like the ones on the original cover of Breaking Dawn, however, I think that the meaning behind the chess pieces wouldn't be clear to a person who hasn't read the books which, once again, was pretty much left to the viewer to figure out. 

The acting was better in this movie, though. Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner portrayed the inner turmoil of Edward with the whole, I'm-going-to-be-a-daddy-to-the-thing-that's-killing-my-love and Jacob stepping up to the plate and becoming the pack leader while loving Bella and being forced to kill her baby. Even Kristin Stewart stepped it up a notch, which, in my opinion, is saying something. I'm not a huge fan of Stewart's acting in the first place but in this movie she was actually decent. 

The overall pacing of the plot was lacking. I mean, half of the movie was the honeymoon and the other half was Bella being pregnant and dying. I especially didn't like that the real threat to the protagonist happened after the credits. Half of the theater that I was in left before seeing some of what was going to happen next in Breaking Dawn part 2. And, I have to admit that if it wasn't for my extreme lazyness and need to stay inside the theater where it was warm and there was popcorn, I probably wouldn't have seen the final clip. 



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...